Domestic Violence Statistics

Violence at home is on the rise according to recent domestic violence statistics. According to these recent studies with domestic violence statistics, one in four women has experienced domestic violence in her lifetime despite efforts toward reducing these numbers.

Also known as intimate partner violence, domestic violence occurs between two people in a close relationship. With 25 percent of women affected by domestic violence throughout the course of their lives, this is a growing problem easily reflected in domestic violence statistics. According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are estimates of about 960,000 to 3 million incidents of violence against women in domestic settings each year. In this article, we take a look at domestic violence statistics and how domestic violence can affect teens.

Domestic violence statistics:

  • Women make up 85 percent of the domestically abused victims, while men make up the remaining 15 percent. 
  • The offender is typically a spouse, former spouse or partner or live-in boyfriend or girlfriend
  • Women ages 20 to 24 are at the greatest risk of intimate partner violence, according to domestic violence statistics released by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
  • Separated and divorced males and females are at a greater risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence, according to recent domestic violence statistics.
  • Race typically does not play a role in the number of men and women who are offenders or victims of domestic violence
  • Income does directly play a role in domestic violence instances among men and women, however those of lower income are three times as likely to become victims of domestic violence. 
  • Domestic violence cases are 20 percent higher in urban areas as compared with suburban and rural areas.
  • About 12 percent of adult suicides throughout the United States are domestic violent related.

Domestic violence and teens:

  • About one in five female teens report physical dating violence by a dating partner.
  • Some domestic violence statistics studies have found that 40 percent of teens from 14 to 17 have reported knowing someone their age who had been hit, beaten or abused by a boyfriend.
  • Nearly 14 percent of teens, both male and female, have reported that their boyfriend or girlfriend threatened to harm them or themselves to avoid a breakup. 
  • Many of these domestic violence statistics also indicate that as a dating relationship becomes more serious, the potential for a dangerous setting with violence also increases. 

Types of domestic violence:

  • Physical abuse. This occurs when one person hurts or attempts to hurt a partner by kicking, punching, pushing, biting, burning or other physical acts.
  • Sexual abuse. Rape and sexual abuse can even occur in marriage. This is when a partner forces the other to take part in a sex act without the other's consent.
  • Threats. This is typically in the form of verbal abuse with the use of intimidation to make the partner fear the offender with the use of words and gestures or weapons. 
  • Emotional abuse. This takes place when a partner threatens his or her possessions, loved ones and doing damage to a partner's self worth through harmful words like name calling. Stalking, controlling behavior and intimidation are also forms of emotional abuse.

Overall, domestic violence statistics report women who have access to a rescue shelter or treatment center are more likely to recover from emotionally and physically abusive relationships.


Related Article: Teen Violence Treatment >>